Friday 10 August 2012

SAVE MONTHS AND NOT DAYS

  Saving in time is a good habit, but sometimes microscopic observations are made, small delays are exaggerated and attention focused on them unnecessarily, leaving aside the bigger delays. One incident made me use a scientific basis of information collection and analysis in this field also. Once I faced a peculiar situation when one of my colleagues (let us call him A) made a general observation to the Chief Executive, during my absence (probably to save his skin) that I was taking too much time in clearing my files/papers. After my return when confronted, I did not immediately give my reaction and requested for some time. I decided to arrange collection of data on daily basis for some reasonable period of time, about the various files/papers being received by, and cleared from my office. Based upon statistical analysis of this data, I found conclusively that the observation of my colleague A was far from truth. As a matter of fact, I located one particular file and after a thorough study of the same I found that this file travelled back and forth four times between me and my colleague A. From a statistical analysis of the various travel times of this file I observed that out of the total 110 days  the file took for final clearance, it was in my office for 16 days, whereas it was with my colleague A for 94 days. Further I found that the ten days time taken by me during the third occasion was due to obtaining advice from another colleague, which took that much time. On the other three occasions I took just two days each, to dispose the file (as required at that time) in contrast to 27, 28, 25 and 14 days taken by my colleague for disposal of the file on the four occasions respectively.  This data along with the other general data recorded by me proved conclusively that my performance did not deserve such an adverse comment, but on the other hand, this study did earn an appreciation. Moral of the story is that quick disposal actions should be taken by all concerned, (instead of passing on the blame to others wrongly) and the areas where there is saving of some substantial periods of time, should be taken up first.  

No comments: