Friday 6 January 2023

INTERNATIONAL AWARD WINNING AUTHOR OF SRI LANKA PRAMUDITH D. RUPASINGHE CONSIDERS THAT FICTION IS THE DOORWAY TO INFINITE SKY OF IMAGINATION

 

INTERNATIONAL AWARD WINNING AUTHOR OF SRI LANKA PRAMUDITH D. RUPASINGHE CONSIDERS THAT FICTION IS THE DOORWAY TO INFINITE SKY OF IMAGINATION



                                               PRAMUDITH D. RUPASINGHE


BAYAN

BEHIND THE ECLIPSE

BRIEF PROFILE OF THE AUTHOR: 

Internationally Published Novelist/Author but a Humanitarian by profession, Pramudith D. Rupasinghe served in Asia, Europe, Africa and the Middle East for almost two decades. He embarked on his writing career, following his short story collection “Footprints in Obscurity” (2015) based on his visits to 29 territories in the African continent. The following year (2016), he published his first work of full-length fiction, “Behind the Eclipse”— a story set in the context of the West African Ebola Crisis. As the winner of the “Laureate of the Golden Aster Award for Global Literature—2020” for his historical fiction “Bayan”, Pramudith has explored new horizons in writing, with his unique writing style, “writing without borders” by being physically present in the places where his stories take place.

SOCIAL MEDIA INFLUENCE:

Author page: Pramudith D. Rupasinghe (57k reach)

https://www.facebook.com/Writerwithoutborders

Page for Behind the Eclipse: (20k reach)

https://www.facebook.com/behindtheeclipse

Page for Bayan (10k reach)

https://www.facebook.com/booksofpramudithdrupasinghe

Page writing journey of the submitted book She Who Became the Moon (3.3k reach)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063561004791

Email:pramudith.rupasinghe@icloud.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q What is your specific field of writing? Are there any specific reasons for choosing this field?

When I have the immense ocean to swim, why should I sit on the safer coast and get burns? Fiction gives the writer, an infinite landscape for expression and imagination. Fiction is more truthful to the writer than the fact-based non-fiction. I first started with a collection of short stories, “Footprints in Obscurity”. Then after my first work of fiction “Behind the Eclipse”, I realized that I have the infinite sky and immense ocean to operate and that there was much more originality in fiction. So, I fell in love with “fiction”. Fiction writing simulates our creativity more than any other genre. However, I must highlight that no genre is superior to the other. As writers, we have preferences and personal reasons for choosing what we do. As a reader, I read almost everything: poetry, non-fiction and fiction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q I understand that your famous book "Bayan” is an award winning work. Do you consider it as your best book? When and how did you get the idea about writing this book and what difficulties were experienced by you during this period?

I do not consider Bayan as my best book, especially for a wider readership. It is one of my works with a wired tone and an unorthodox presentation. But it is one of my literary experiments in attempting to fuse culture, age and language (Russian) as key style-defining factors of a novel. However, it was a difficult piece of work to write, and it's not a reader-friendly book either.  Many can't relate its story to their lives and the narration is fragmented, just like an old man talks. But what I hear from the readers is that those familiar with the context love the book. It is an absolute contrast to the soviet stories we have been reading for ages, and that it does not have heroes, heroines, winning or defeat. It does not hurt anyone or make you laugh; that is how the old age is passed. And the language, though it is written in English, flows like Ukrainian and Russian, sometimes Spanish, matching the native languages of the characters. On top of that, I think I have tried to depict, through language, how the cognitive process works in old age. So, without a bit of awareness of the background, it could be a monotonous and slow read. I did not even think that the book would ever be noticed among my other works. However, Bayan has become a landmark in my career and a reality, forecast in 2018 about today's Ukraine.

I have been to Ukraine a couple of times and I write by being physically in the places where my stories are set. I was in the east of Ukraine, a few months after the annexation of Crimea, followed by the onset of the Donbas crisis.  There I learnt that there was a generation whose life remained sandwiched between old soviet times and modern-day socio-political dynamics and that it would be severely affected by the growing nationalism and potential Russian invasion; the elderly.

Since the very beginning, writing Bayan has been an uphill walk due to one particular reason. I had to be in the shoes of a 73-year-old Ukrainian man during the entire writing process. I was 37.  We can just imagine that I was in a constant battle dealing with the bias of my age, culture, ambitions etc. Bayan compelled me to live almost two years in the skin of an elderly and now, I know how I would feel at that age. Every writing experience transforms the writer. I can't deny that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q When & how do you get the ideas & do you record them immediately somewhere? On an average, what is the timeframe to complete one book, in all respects?

Ideas are always there, all the time. They are spontaneous. But, I do record them; I always have my moleskin and a pencil with me. Further, I am a plantser, but a little closer to a pantser. I don't remember when I had a complete sketch for work or built characters separately. All I know is that I write the first few chapters. That surely takes a lot of psychic energy out of me. Then the characters are alive. Thereafter, I create situations for them to act and react. They tell the rest of the story. So, I do not decide the pace of the writing process.  In my opinion, there is no such thing called a "time frame" that can be applied to literature. A good story takes its time to mature. Similarly a book takes its time to become lean and well-crafted and this may average around 3 -5 years, till it reaches my agent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q Do you agree with the observation that many writers are keeping writing as a secondary occupation? What is it that draws them towards the field of "Writing”?  

That is a tough question to answer. I do acknowledge that, in many countries, especially in South Asia, though we have the highest number of readers, writing is not financially sustainable for many writers. That is the reason why many writers still hesitate to give hundred per cent of their time to writing; most of them do it as their secondary job. However, it’s slowly changing now. But we should not visualize the dollar notes under our empty notebook before we write the first letter on it. We should do justice to the story and the characters, maintain an unbroken integrity to our work and then the story will take us to, where we should be.

Fame and name do come with the work we do. I believe that those who have done notable work, irrespective of where they are based or where they have come from, have managed to leave their footprints in the global literary landscape. It is undeniable that a good number of influential writers have emerged from South Asia.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q Which aspects motivate you to write books?

So far, I have written stories that were set outside my culture, of people who didn’t represent me. What really kept me going thus far, were the cultures and the people. I love exploring the diversity among us as human beings. On top of that, I often have the chance to be in places where people face events and situations beyond normal, natural disasters, conflicts etc. A combination of the above mentioned points has defined my writing, not just the source of motivation or aspiration. All my stories talk about issues that are least spoken about. They are the voices of the voiceless. A story written in simple language, set most proximate to reality, with vivid imagery and a convincing tone, is a good advocate. It moves us. It opens our eyes. It silently fights the devil in us. It transforms us. It can mobilize mass. I believe in it. If the above-mentioned, contains at least half the truth, that itself is a reason to write.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Q Has Facebook helped you in any way, in your writing career or even otherwise? If yes, please elucidate.

I have a significant presence on social media and a good number of followers. First of all, not only the number of followers on Facebook but also on any social media is not a measure of our success as a writer. Only a percentage of those followers are our readers. Social media helps to spread the good work we do and to talk to the world with influence. So, it does help our writing career in terms of our voice being heard by many.  This is the good side. At the same time, the higher the number of followers, the more we need to be cautious of how we communicate with the external world. It is not about our reputation. It is about how we healthily interact with a larger diverse readership and use our influence in a constrictive and non-intrusive manner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q How are you able to divide the available time between management of home, your writing career, and various other works?  

I used to work as a full-time humanitarian professional till 2017. However in late 2017; I felt that I needed more time to be invested in writing, as I found it where I belonged to. Now, I work a few months a year, and the rest of my time is fully dedicated to family and writing. I am talking about seven to eight months a year. It is a conscious decision taken in consultation with my spouse. I have multiple writing spaces at home where I often spend the mornings, to write, while others are asleep. I rarely write in the evening hours, unless I choose to go out to write. So, basically, now, I’m gradually making my transition to a full-time writing career where I have to choose time slots for family and writing, which is less complicated than writing while doing another job.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Q If you were not a writer, in what other way, you would have expressed your creativity?

I can’t imagine another way of expression. It could probably be painting. I was very fond of painting as a child. But writing is my best form of expression. It is pathetic to note that in the school setting in Sri Lanka, neither literature nor other forms of art are seen as pathways to professions.  And the parents and teachers often push children into a world where there is unhealthy competition. They even compete among the siblings, for examination-focused education, aiming at careers they think are lucrative e.g. lawyers, doctors, managers and engineers. The old generation can’t imagine a success without competition and a world beyond an office. However, I am very contented that I explored my passion and made the much-needed transition in my mid-thirties.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q What is your opinion about e-books? Due to this concept of e-books, is the survival of printed books in future in jeopardy?

I personally do not read e-books. These do not have that feel of printed books. That is my preference as a reader. I often try to prevent screens as much as possible. But, as a writer, I understand the dynamics of the world, the people and finally my readership. I can’t say “no” or fight against the e-book culture; that is where the wind is heading, but it can’t sweep every tree standing in its way. I do not think that printed books will disappear. There is still a good readership for printed books. We should not be anxious about the new technology or shifts in the field, as long as, we meet our final goal viz. our stories reaching out to our readers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q What are your future plans for writing books?

My first story set in the Indian subcontinent is on the way. It is about human resilience and the pursuit of dreams through the life of a girl, who had fallen into the hands of human traffickers after her father’s death and was sold to one of the world’s largest brothel villages, “Kandapara”. This book will hopefully be out for the readers towards mid-2023. That piece of work “She Who Became the Moon” is already on the way. After all these years, I have decided to set a story in my country. It will take my writing time in 2023 or perhaps 2024 as well.

                                       -----------------------vijaiksharma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

vijaiksharma said...

As the interviewer, I appreciate the candid and interesting responses given to the questions posed during the interview. Best wishes.