Thursday 18 February 2021

AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER REVELS IN SCIENCE AND FANTASY WRITINGS

 

AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER REVELS IN SCIENCE AND FANTASY WRITINGS


ARMEN POGHARIAN

                      

                        

 BRIEF PROFILE OF THE AUTHOR

Honestly speaking, Armen Pogharian didn’t voluntarily read a book until he finished The Hobbit in sixth grade, but later his interests grew in reading and writing.  First he earned a BS in Electrical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, where he was an Honorable-Mention All-American swimmer. As a USAF officer he worked on classified ‘Area 51’ projects – he never saw a single alien (dead or alive). He later earned an MBA from the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill and spent more than a decade in the high tech & biotech industries. His stories mix elements of science and history with a healthy dose of fantasy. When not writing, he enjoys swimming, reading & the outdoors. He lives outside Rochester, NY with his wife & family.

Social links:

(a)                    Author Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorArmenPogharian  It provides more information about upcoming books & occasional nerdy post about maps, science & history visit.

(b)                    A website and blog: http://www.armenpogharian.com/        The website includes information about the Misaligned & Warders book series and reviews of similar books.  His blog covers science, history & writing and the popular Map Monday post.   

--------------------------------------------------------

Q Are you a professional writer? How many of your books have been published so far?

Yes, I am a professional writer. Eight of my books have been or are in the process of being published. “Misaligned” is a three-book series that’s being re-released through CamCat publishing, with new covers and minor edits. The first book came out in December 2020, the second in February 2021 and the third one is expected in March 2021. The “Warder” series includes five released books and a sixth completed book.

-------------------------------------------------------

Q What is your specific field of writing?  Are there any specific reasons for choosing this particular field?

Both series are young adult friendly fantasies. As a reader, I enjoyed fantasy and science fiction, so as a writer, I naturally gravitated towards that side. I refer to my books as young adult friendly because they don’t contain foul language, overt sex or graphic depictions of violence. While the Misaligned series aims at a little younger (10+) group, the Warder series is really for adults and young readers.

----------------------------------------------------------

Q Which particular book of yours do you consider as the best so far, and why?

That’s a bit like asking which of my children is favourite. I like all my books, but I do feel that the latest book in each series is the best. For Misaligned, that would be Penny Preston and the King’s Blade, and for the Warders, The Demon’s Debt.  

----------------------------------------------------------

Q Do you recommend writing of books jointly? In your opinion what are the areas of benefits & problems, in such joint ventures?

I have never attempted to co-author a book. As a fantasy author, I can see the benefits of brainstorming with another writer, e.g., alternate world-building concepts. However, I can also see the downsides around the implementation of those concepts. Ultimately, in my opinion, a strong relationship with an editor works best for me. It’s analogous to recording music. I’m the songwriter who works best solo, but I need a producer (the editor) to help me polish the tune.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Q When & how do you get the ideas & do you record them immediately somewhere? On an average, what is the timeframe to complete one book, in all respects?

Normally, I start with a question. For Misaligned it was, ‘what happens at the intersection of myth and science?’ That kicks off a mental process that can last weeks or months looking for something interesting or unique. Misaligned sprang from the idea of underpinning Arthurian myth with String Theory. At that point, I create a single page outline. Once complete, I move from the informal to the disciplined side. I set a word goal for every day and write until I finish the book. Continuing the Misaligned example, I wrote 1,000 words a day until I finished. Then I set the work aside to decompress. After my mind is clear, I give it an editorial scrub from start to finish. At this point, outside editors/reviewers and cover artists enter the mix, to finalize the things. The whole process takes roughly a year. It’s a little quicker to self-publish but a little longer with a publisher.

------------------------------------------------------

Q Besides the quality of writing, in your opinion, what are the other factors for the success of a book?

Assuming that you mean financial success of the book, a very important factor is its marketing. Readers can’t buy your book if they don’t know about it. With over 1,500 English language titles getting published every day, there are thousands of books competing for their attention. The big retailers don’t care which book, readers choose. A professional cover is critical. People may still say that you can’t judge a book by its cover, but buyers clearly do.

---------------------------------------------------------

Q Do you agree with the observation that many writers are keeping writing as a secondary occupation. What is it that draws them towards the field of "Writing"?

For an author, it is difficult to make living by writing and selling books. Some authors “keep their day jobs,” while others branch out into editing, blogging or other aspects of writing, to make both ends meet. Writing involves a lot of work, relative to the financial benefit. You need to love the process and the craft of creation. If you’re in it only for financial gain, you’re likely to be disappointed.  

---------------------------------------------------------

Q Which aspects motivate you to write books? Earning money/publicity/helping readers/self-satisfaction/others? In your opinion, is there adequate scope for name/fame/wealth in the field of writing?

I’ve touched on some of this, above. To be successful, first and foremost, you need to love the act of creation and writing, which means continuously improving your craft. Adulation from others in the form of sales or great reviews is fantastic, but by no means guaranteed. If you can’t derive satisfaction from within yourself, you’re unlikely to remain a writer.

----------------------------------------------------------

Q Has Facebook helped you in any way, in your writing career or even otherwise? If yes, please elucidate.

My blog is more effective in sharing information with followers, but it is easier to reach new people using Facebook. An important aspect of that comes from my fellow authors. Facebook is a great tool for us to share news about our friends’ works. Of course, you must be willing to help others. There’s a lot of potential in live Facebook events. On 25 February I’ll be participating in my first ‘Open Mic’ event on Facebook. I’ll be on a moderated panel with several other authors reading from our books and answering questions from listeners.

----------------------------------------------------------

Q How are you able to divide the available time between your job, looking after the family requirements at home and your writing career?

I’ve been blessed with a flexible schedule that allows me a lot of freedom to work on writing. I also have a very forgiving family.     Honestly, I don’t know how authors with dedicated 9-5 jobs and families make it work.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Q Have your family members and friends helped and/or contributed in any way, in your writing career?

Absolutely yes. I would never have gotten where I am, without them. My wife and children often read my early material. Besides giving encouragement, they’re quite free in sharing criticism. I also enjoy tremendous support from my friends both inside and outside the formal writing community.

--------------------------------------------------------

Q What is your opinion about e-books? Due to this concept of e-books, is the survival of printed books in future in jeopardy?

Several years ago, industry pundits were touting the end of printed books. It didn’t happen. Right now, audio books are the next big thing. Personally, I love the feel and even the smell of printed books. That said, I believe that any format that gives authors another way to reach readers is a great thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Q What are your future plans for writing books?

Once I complete the re-release process for the Misaligned series, I’m going to turn back to the Warder series and publish the sixth book. After that, I’ve got plans for a 7th Warder book, as well as some completely new ideas. I don’t know which will take the lead, but I do know I’m not done creating.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Q What is your advice to the budding authors?

Make sure you enter the process with open eyes. Fame and fortune are wonderful, but if that’s your prime motivator you’re likely to be disappointed.

                                                    ------------vijaiksharma

2 comments:

Armen said...

Mr. Sharma - thank you for reaching out and sharing our interview with your followers. You were a very gracious host and I wish you nothing but the best. - Armen Pogharian

vijaiksharma said...

I thank you for your kind words, full cooperation in responding to the questions and making this task successful. Hoping for cooperation in future too,
vijaiksharma