Tuesday 2 February 2021

SUCCESSFUL COMBINATION OF FICTION & HUMOUR IN THE WRITINGS OF ANUPAMA JAIN

 

SUCCESSFUL COMBINATION OF FICTION & HUMOUR IN THE WRITINGS OF ANUPAMA JAIN 

 

ANUPAMA JAIN


 BRIEF PROFILE OF THE AUTHOR

Anupama Jain is a popular and noted author and blogger in the field of humour and is called Queen of Wit. She has conducted Workshops on “Writing realistic fiction with dash of humour”. She is the author of books 'Masala Mix: Potpourri of Shorts' and ‘When Padma Bani Paula'. She is also the Founder & Admin of -SeniorSchoolMoms, Admin. of - Stories From The Peninsula and also Head - Content, Collaborations and Marketing, Incredible Women Of India

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Are you a professional writer? How many of your books have been published so far?

I wouldn’t call myself a professional writer because I don’t earn my living through my writing. But I’m extremely restless and I take my writing very seriously, until those agitating words within, do not find an outlet. I have been part of 9 anthologies, one of which is India’s first composite novel (LIMCA record holder 2016). I have published ‘Masala Mix: A potpourri of Shorts’ a short story collection about the myriad manifestations of love and ‘When Padma Bani Paula’ a breezy novel listed as ‘One of the 5 best books of 2018 - Fiction’, by readwriteinspire.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  What is your specific field of writing?

I write across topics. I have written hundreds of blogs, short stories, novels and a novella. I have been branded a social commentator. I have won major awards for humour and many for my blogs on parenting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Are there any specific reasons for choosing this particular field?

My years on this planet as a wife and a mother, have given me enough perspective. I feel that it is better to laugh at a problem rather than to get overwhelmed by the problem. Hence I consider that ‘laughter is the best medicine’.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  What has been the general assessment of the reviewers and readers for your books?

It has been very favourable. I have found a good deal of resonance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Which particular book of yours do you consider as the best so far, and why?

I consider ‘When Padma Bani Paula’, my debut novel, as the best, because many readers have identified with Padma’s journey to Paula and back. The best compliment for a writer is when the readers find a bit of themselves in the protagonist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Did you receive appreciation/recognition & adequate sales for this book or any other book, in the world?

The heart is never content with what destiny bestows. It always wants more. As a writer, appreciation and more is always eagerly awaited. Though I must confess my debut novel ‘When Padma Bani Paula’ received loads of love.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Which other author’s books, do you feel, come close to your style of writing? Who is your role model?

People have often told me, my writing style resembles that of Mrs. Funny Bones, Twinkle Khanna. In fact, on amazon.in my debut novel ‘When Padma Bani Paula’ and Twinkle Khanna’s ‘Pyjamas are forgiving’ got often bundled-sold together. I consider my mother as my role model.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Do you promote and recommend the writing of books jointly? In your opinion what are the areas of benefits and problems, in such joint ventures?

No, because you will end up harming both, writing of a book and promoting of other. The mindsets required are completely different. To write, you need to step away from the cacophony. For promoting you have to make enough noise, create a strong buzz, to make your book stand out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  When you get the ideas, do you immediately note them down in a diary or elsewhere? On average, how many months do you take to complete one book, in all respects?

Regarding noting the ideas, I leave myself voice notes. As per my experience, completing a book from start to finish takes at least a year

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Could you share with us, an interesting event/incident/experience faced with the other writers, publishers or readers in your writing career?

Once for my book launch at a book store, a reader made her husband, who worked in the same complex, miss his office for an hour and collect an author-signed copy of ‘When Padma Bani Paula’. As proof of his presence, the poor husband had to immediately click his picture with me and send it to her

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Besides the quality of writing, in your opinion, what are the other factors for the success of a book?

The timing makes for a very important factor. A great book pitched at the wrong time could sometimes fall flat. Timing of the launch, out of the box marketing and a great cover are the major factors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Which aspects motivate you to write books? Earning money/publicity/helping readers/self-satisfaction/others?. In your opinion, is there adequate scope for name/fame/wealth in the field of writing?

Writer’s angst to tell a story, self-satisfaction and readers’ appreciation for my craft and publicity motivate me as a writer but very few actually make money out of writing. In my opinion there is enough scope for name and fame in writing, but wealth for only a few.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Has Facebook helped you in any way, in your writing career, or even otherwise? If yes, please elucidate.

An author had called me a Facebook Phenomenon. I don’t know if that is a compliment but about seven odd years ago, I started writing little notes to overcome a particularly tough year - a year of loss and its attendant ugliness followed by a major illness. I am not formally trained in the nuances of the craft. I would write random posts on the daily humdrum, current events, or on anything that caught my fancy. The ‘likes’ on my posts became my energy boosters, gave me the strength to cope with life by putting the smile back. Through my writing, I found a release. One thing led to the other.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  What are the reasons for the general success of the concept of “Agents of writers” in some countries?

These days, writers are expected to be complete packages. Not only do they have to write, but also have to sell their books. Not all writers are great communicators. It takes relentless pursuit and a thick skin to find a publisher who will back the project. An agent is a bridge between a writer and the publishing houses, taking the load off the writer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  Have your family members and friends helped and/or contributed in any way, to your writing career?

With their collective quirks, they give me an unending supply of anecdotes for me to pen. They are my muses, my ego-boosters and my pillars of support.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  What is your opinion about e-books? Due to this concept of e-books, is the survival of printed books in the future in jeopardy?

E-books became the flavour of the pandemic. As the virus recedes, eventually the market will adjust; each form of storytelling will find its space. Both forms will continue to enthrall the readers. That said, nothing beats the smell of the freshly printed books.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  What are your future plans for writing books? If you were not a writer, in what another way, you would have expressed your creativity?

I want to write many more novels, to tell stories that will resonate and make readers happy. Further my other ways to express creativity, could have been Painting and singing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q  What is your advice to the budding authors?

There are more authors per square inch than readers! How does an author grab the readers’ attention in this frightening scenario? By being different, that too constantly! One must read, update skills, 24/7. There is no short cut to success. Believe in self, keep at it and learn as much as you can from others. Cherish feedback. Also, we should remember that we cannot please all.

                                                   -------------vijaiksharma

 

 

1 comment:

Armen said...

Life is truly a great teacher and the language of humor is universal.