Saturday 17 April 2021

SUCCESSFUL REORIENTATION OF ENGINEERING CAREER TO WRITING FIELD BY SALINI VINEETH

 SUCCESSFUL REORIENTATION OF ENGINEERING CAREER TO WRITING FIELD BY SALINI VINEETH

                    

                       Ms. SALINI VINEETH


BRIEF PROFILE OF THE AUTHOR:

Salini Vineeth is a fiction and freelance writer. She graduated from BITS Pilani, Goa Campus and then did M.Tech from IIIT-Bangalore. After working for a decade in the Electronics industry, she quit her job in Dec. 2018 to pursue full-time writing. Since then, she has self-published four books–Magic Square (novella), Everyday People (flash-fiction collection) and travel guides to Hampi and Badami. Her short stories and personal essays have appeared in Café Dissensus, Kitaab, The Bombay Review, Money Control, Funny Pearls UK, and eShe magazine. She has also contributed to seven anthologies by Embassy Books, Ukiyoto Publishers, Eka Publications, The Hive, and Anonymous writer. She currently lives in Bangalore with her husband and four-year old daughter.

Social Media Links:

Blog: https://salinivineeth.in/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/salini.sasidharan.37/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/salini_vineeth/

Twiter:  https://twitter.com/salini_vineeth

----------------------------------------------

Q Are you a professional writer? How many of your books have been published so far?

Yes, I am a full-time professional writer. I write fiction, short stories  and technical blogs. I have self-published four books. I have also contributed to seven anthologies.

----------------------------------------------

Q What is your specific field of writing?  Are there any specific reasons for choosing this particular field?

I am primarily a fiction writer. Even though I enjoy writing long-form fiction, I am more comfortable with short stories. From childhood, I am intrigued by the short stories of great Malayalam writers like Vaikom Muhammad Basheer, M T Vasudevan Nair, and Kamala Das. When I started writing in school days as a child, I think that their style and prose influenced me a lot.

----------------------------------------------

Q Did you receive appreciation/recognition/awards & adequate sales for your books? Please elucidate.

Yes, I have received a few awards too. I have won the eShe fiction contest in 2019 and 2020. My short story collection 'Everyday People' was the finalist in the Amazon Pen2Publish contest in 2019. Both my books 'Magic Square' and 'Everyday People' have received generally positive reviews. The former has a 4.2/5 rating on Amazon out of 133 reviews, and the latter has a 4.2/5 rating out of 93 reviews. But for me, the biggest appreciation is the number of messages I receive from my readers. The contents of these messages inspire me to write more and better.

---------------------------------------------------

Q When & how do you get the ideas & do you record them immediately somewhere? On average, what is the timeframe to complete one book, in all respects?

In my own assessment, I am a keen observer. When I am outside on a trip or among friends, I pay attention to the details. Before the pandemic, I used to travel a lot. Many of my short stories are inspired by my observations during  travels. I also get a lot of story ideas from my friends, who are so gracious to share their experiences. Presently, I don't have a habit of writing the ideas down, but I think I need to cultivate that. For a short story, I write 8-10 drafts at least, so it takes at least a month to finish it. Long-form, like a novel, could take anywhere between 2-3 years from the initial draft to publication.

-------------------------------------------------

Q You might have been associated with several organizations for different periods, as an author. Please share some experience during this period.   

Yes, I am a part of several wonderful writers' groups. Hyderabad Readers and Writers is one such group. I am very close to their members and I have published two anthologies with them. The Himalayan Writing Retreat is another group. I attended one of their short story workshops and it was a memorable experience. I also came to know about a group of 25 women writers through our eShe anthology, named 'Everything Changed After That.' Being in the company of readers and writers is an enriching experience.

---------------------------------------------------

Q Besides the quality of writing, in your opinion, what are the other factors for the success of a book?

Yes, the quality of writing is utmost important. That includes the language, the storyline, characters and how it connects with the readers. I believe a stunning cover also adds to the value of the book, even though we say don't judge a book by its cover. In my opinion, a writer’s staying connected with his or her readers through social media is very essential. With the influx of so many books, readers have very little time to cover everything. So, if they come across the book of a writer, who engages with them, they might pick it up.

-------------------------------------------------

Q While you were working in an engineering job, were you also concurrently engaged in the writing field? In my opinion, you could have served as an engineer and also as a writer, both together. What are the exact reasons for your entry in the writing field on a full time basis, even though you are a qualified engineer and you have served in a job for ten years. 

I have been writing from my childhood. I remember participating in writing competitions as a young ten-year-old. So, writing is something that has stayed with me for a long time. There was a long gap in my writing career, when I joined engineering discipline and then started working in a job. It was very painful for me since I wanted to write with all my heart.

I tried to handle both my engineering job and writing career for almost six years. Honestly speaking, I wasn't finding time to write quality fiction/non-fiction while managing my home and work. Initially, I wasn't sure about being a full-time writer. I wrote every day for almost six years before quitting my job. All that preparation culminated in change of my career. Therefore, when social media presented an opportunity, I restarted my writing career. Also, Kindle Direct Publishing has helped me to publish my books.

Now also, I utilize my engineering skills when I write content for technical blogs. I have found a very lucrative career in technical and content writing. My engineering degree is a great boon to understand complex concepts. So, I would rather call it a change of career, rather than the end of my engineering career. I have found a new niche to use my skills and training in a way that gives me a lot of job satisfaction.

-------------------------------------------------

Q Which aspects motivate you to write books? Earning money/publicity/helping readers/self-satisfaction/others? In your opinion, is there adequate scope for name/fame/wealth in the field of writing?

I would say all of the above. Yes, writing gives me a lot of satisfaction and it's a way to channelize my emotions and thoughts. I often make enquiries about the views of the readers and I have converted quite a few of their inputs into stories. It's helpful to tell their stories in a way that helps them to channelize their feelings. I also quite enjoy the fame and publicity it brings. I am not quite sure if fiction writing can bring a lot of wealth, though. Maybe it works out for a very few writers.

------------------------------------------------

Q How are you able to divide the available time between management of home and your writing career?  Have your family members and friends helped and/or contributed in any way, in your writing career?

I have a very supportive family. My in-laws live with me, and they understand the importance of what I do. My husband is also a great help. With their help, I have developed a writing routine and I am able to focus on my craft. I write at least for four hours a day. My parents and sister also help me out and back me up emotionally. Not just them, my extended family, college mates, and even Facebook friends have been very supportive and kind to me. I think it's a great privilege to be surrounded by such wonderful people. Whatever I write is because of their help and support. I am very lucky when it comes to a great support system, which also includes a great circle of friends and readers, who constantly support me. Without an understanding ecosystem it is very difficult for a woman to achieve her dreams and aspirations.

------------------------------------------------

Q Would you like to share your future plans for writing books with the readers?

I am in the process of making the last edits of my debut full-length novel and then to get it published traditionally, which is time consuming. I am in the process of approaching publishers. If everything goes well, I am hoping to get it published this year or early next year. I am also hoping to write a few good short stories and personal essays.

-----------------------------------------------

Q What is your advice to the budding authors? 

Persistence is the key. If one has decided to become a writer, he or she should keep at it. Everybody realizes that it is tough to face rejection after rejection, but it is better to get used to it, sooner than later. Even the greatest of writers have faced rejections many times. We should not try to focus on success or failure, but on improving the quality of our writing. We should read books, attend workshops and do everything possible to improve our craft, but never give up on writing. Ultimately success will definitely knock at our doors.

                                  ---------vijaiksharma

 

 

 

1 comment:

vijaiksharma said...

As the interviewer, I appreciate the candid responses given to the questions posed during the interview, which the readers will find interesting. Best wishes for future.